This is complete random chaos. Of course, it would be silly to expect anything else. After all, this is all the things that strike my fancy, and Lord knows that's a crazy list!
im not even a slytherin, im a ravenclaw, but i can’t tell you how much i hate house sterotypses
Don’t get me wrong, I love Harry Potter, but this is RIDICULOUS. No, you are not part of any of the houses. It is a work of FICTION. Next you’re gonna start saying yeah, I fought off a dementor last night. You effing weirdos.
THEY ARE NOT REAL!
we found the muggle guys
i’ll get the memory charm going
damnit, I thought we had a protection spell to keep them out.
the thing about the hogwarts houses is that most fans of this series literally grew up with it, and thus they were the first clues we had to establishing identities. associating yourself with a certain house made kids who were only just beginning to find their ways in the world feel like yes, they had a place they belonged, a place where the values they thought most important were cherished and upheld.
we’re all quite aware that harry potter is a work of fiction, and we’re more than aware that people cannot be boxed in to four separate houses. but now, the hogwarts houses are less a ‘oh harry potter is real here’s my wand’ and more a ‘these are my core values and how i perceive the world’. it’s a personality analysis, and it should take you years to figure out which house you identify with the most.
some people start out thinking they’re gryffindors or ravenclaws, and grow up and realize they’re actually slytherins and hufflepuffs. it prompts people to really look into their personalities and sense of self in order to figure out what is really important to them and how they look at reality. i thought i was a hufflepuff all through childhood, despite it never feeling right — now that i’m older, i’m much, much more comfortable with my identity as a ravenclaw.
it’s our way of keeping our love for the harry potter fandom strong while also developing a sense of community. all fandoms with factions do this: game of thrones, avatar: the last airbender, even homestuck to a certain extent.
as a last note: incidentally, when rowling developed the dementors as a plot device she used them as a physical manifestation of depression. that’s why chocolate works so well on them, and why it is quite possible for someone to have fought off a dementor last night.
The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive.
John Green, Looking for Alaska (via psych-facts)
1. push yourself to get up before the rest of the world - start with 7am, then 6am, then 5:30am. go to the nearest hill with a big coat and a scarf and watch the sun rise.
2. push yourself to fall asleep earlier - start with 11pm, then 10pm, then 9pm. wake up in the morning feeling re-energized and comfortable.
3. erase processed food from your diet. start with no lollies, chips, biscuits, then erase pasta, rice, cereal, then bread. use the rule that if a child couldn’t identify what was in it, you don’t eat it.
4. get into the habit of cooking yourself a beautiful breakfast. fry tomatoes and mushrooms in real butter and garlic, fry an egg, slice up a fresh avocado and squirt way too much lemon on it. sit and eat it and do nothing else.
5. stretch. start by reaching for the sky as hard as you can, then trying to touch your toes. roll your head. stretch your fingers. stretch everything.
6. buy a 1L water bottle. start with pushing yourself to drink the whole thing in a day, then try drinking it twice.
7. buy a beautiful diary and a beautiful black pen. write down everything you do, including dinner dates, appointments, assignments, coffees, what you need to do that day. no detail is too small.
8. strip your bed of your sheets and empty your underwear draw into the washing machine. put a massive scoop of scented fabric softener in there and wash. make your bed in full.
9. organise your room. fold all your clothes (and bag what you don’t want), clean your mirror, your laptop, vacuum the floor. light a beautiful candle.
10. have a luxurious shower with your favourite music playing. wash your hair, scrub your body, brush your teeth. lather your whole body in moisturiser, get familiar with the part between your toes, your inner thighs, the back of your neck.
11. push yourself to go for a walk. take your headphones, go to the beach and walk. smile at strangers walking the other way and be surprised how many smile back. bring your dog and observe the dog’s behaviour. realise you can learn from your dog.
12. message old friends with personal jokes. reminisce. suggest a catch up soon, even if you don’t follow through. push yourself to follow through.
14. think long and hard about what interests you. crime? sex? boarding school? long-forgotten romance etiquette? find a book about it and read it. there is a book about literally everything.
15. become the person you would ideally fall in love with. let cars merge into your lane when driving. pay double for parking tickets and leave a second one in the machine. stick your tongue out at babies. compliment people on their cute clothes. challenge yourself to not ridicule anyone for a whole day. then two. then a week. walk with a straight posture. look people in the eye. ask people about their story. talk to acquaintances so they become friends.
16. lie in the sunshine. daydream about the life you would lead if failure wasn’t a thing. open your eyes. take small steps to make it happen for you.
Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.
Hunter S. Thompson (via significantquotes)
If I was an author, I’d go into bookstores and find the shelf with my books, randomly sign one, and put it back on the shelf to be sold.
… men always ought to pray and not lose heart —Luke 18:1
There is power when you magnify the Lord and exalt His name. When you magnify the Lord, you aren’t changing Him, you are changing the way you see Him. You are making Him bigger in your life than your problems and circumstances. So many people today waste time and energy talking about their problems and feeling sorry for themselves. In other words, they are magnifying their circumstances in their own mind and heart. But when you start magnifying the Lord by talking about Him and worshiping Him, you are making Him big in your life. You are opening the door for Him to move on your behalf.
Decide today that no matter what’s going on in life around you, you are going to magnify your God. Talk about His goodness. Talk about His faithfulness. Declare that He is working behind the scenes on your behalf. Exalt His name today and lift Him up! As you magnify the Lord above your circumstances, He will become bigger in your life. You will see His hand of blessing and move forward into the life of victory He has in store for you!
i want too much and am allowed too little.
Rakishi, “So goes the smoke” cir. 1948. (via 1924us)
#for a moment I was expecting something like #YES MOMMY I PROMISED I’D CALL NO MOMMY I DON’T NEED YOU TO COME DOWN YES NOW CAN YOU HANG UP I’M IN THE MIDDLE OF SOMETHING WITH MY NEMESIS #and then there’ll be this tinny voice cooing OH MY BABY BOY’S ALL GROWN UP NOW HE HAS FINALLY GOT HIMSELF A NEMESIS SAY HI TO HIM FOR ME … #INVITE HIM OVER FOR COOKIES SOMETIME #MA HE’S MY NEMESIS DO YOU EVEN UNDERSTAND WHAT NEMESIS MEANS #OH YOU SILLY BOYS AND YOUR SILLY FEUDS TELL HIM MY LEMONADE IS THE BEST #and then Moriarty will hang up and be all MY MOM SAYS HI
Fandom, promise me you’ll never change.